iPhone Entertainment for Toddler and Me
It’s another iPhone round up! I really do not know what I would do without my iPhone. I recently upgraded to the iPhone 4 while the husband, headscratchingly traded his for a droid. Why? I have no idea. I’ve tinkered with it and just don’t get it. It is way more complicated than it needs to be and seems to be in some language only guys understand. I will be keeping my iPhone — thank you very much!
The only conundrum with this easier interface is that the toddler is more than capable of operating my phone without supervision. What, praytell, do you think she’s doing on the phone?
Checking out her favorite Juno Baby app of course! I’m not really sure why it’s rated 4+ when their audience started with infants and only recently expanded to toddlers, but my guess is something to do with operating the phone itself. Oh well! My 3 year old is obviously way ahead of the curve to that respect! She loves watching the 9 videos included, clicks away on the flashcards and can’t get enough of the interactive characters. For a limited time, this gem of an app is available FREE!
Also in her “Ava’s Games” folder, she’s helping Strawberry Shortcake (99¢) at her Berry Bistro Café serving up perfect fruit smoothies. This game is perfect for the girly girl in her and very age appropriate. I even got into for a bit but this momma needs a little more incentive than 4 perfect berry smoothies at the end. Sometimes she’s off on the Island of Sodor or Misty Island helping Thomas ($2.99), tilting and going along on his missions. This game really tests your agility and tripped up this mom a few times trying to get Thomas up and over a hill or back under to grab some extra goodies.
When she’s done racing the clock, she can rest and relax to the soothing voice of Meryl Streep, reading the Velveteen Rabbit ($3.99) to her. If she’s not over hearing her mother’s nagging voice she can even opt to hear me or daddy’s or even herself, through their innovative feature which allows recording in our own voices. We love anything that encourages the toddler’s love of books and at $3.99 a book, not to mention being read to by an ALL STAR cast, it’s a REAL bargain!
Other book available as apps include:
- Tom Thumb and the Knights of the Round Table – Told by John Cleese, illustrated by Tim Gabor with music by Elvis Costello. No bigger than his father’s thumb, tiny Tom Thumb is on a larger-than-life journey in the land of King Arthur where his small size leads to mishaps and adventure.
- Pecos Bill – Told by Robin Williams, illustrated by Tim Raglin with music by Ry Cooder. Pecos Bill is the bravest, orneriest cowboy in the Wild West, and the tall tales of his adventures are full of fun. The tale is one of courage, strength and humor.
- John Henry – Told by Denzel Washington, illustrated by Barry Jackson with music by B.B. King. The tale of Big John Henry and his hammer, faster than any machine, belongs in every child’s memory and has been a staple of American mythology for well over a hundred years.
- Johnny Appleseed – Told by Garrison Keillor, illustrated by Stan Olson with music by Mark O’Connor. The true story of John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, who roamed the frontier planting apple trees and spreading goodwill is intimately tied to the domestication of America. This app won Parents’ Choice Gold Award for audio.
When I finally get my phone back, I try to sneak in a little relaxing game of Traffic Rush (99¢), where I scramble to keep the roads CRASH FREE! The rules are simple, but by no means easy. I’m always trying to beat my last score. If I haven’t had enough of my God Complex controlling traffic, my little cousin introduced me to Pocket God (99¢) where I control the lives of primitive islanders. You can bring new life, and then take it away just as quickly. Exercise your powers on the islanders. Lift them in the air, alter gravity, hit them with lightning…you’re the island god! Awesome!
I love my iPhone!
GIVEAWAY: Thanks to Ruckus Media Group, You can enter to win (1) of the iphone/ipad compatible prizes listed below:
- Velveteen Rabbit
- Tom Thumb and the Knights of the Round Table
- Pecos Bill
- John Henry
- Johnny Appleseed
To ENTER, from now until November 27th 2010, fill out this FORM. Get up to (two) bonus entries. 1st Bonus – If you follow me on twitter @momconfessional and re-tweet this giveaway (I just entered @momconfessional’s Rabbit Ear Apps GIVEAWAY! You should too! http://wp.me/pLvfH-Hy) 2nd Bonus – If you “like” us on Facebook and share the giveaway with your friends. DON’T FORGET to visit this FORM again and leave a separate entry for each action. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. addresses and must be 18 years or older. Giveaway ends on November 27th 2010 at 11:59 EST. A winner will be selected randomly by Random.org and notified by e-mail.