May 25th, 2014
Are you in the Danger Zone? #NYC #knowyourzone
May 25th, 2014
With all the recent natural disasters, our devastating winter that rendered NYC under house arrest, it’s not hard to believe that NYC wouldn’t be susceptible to hurricanes. This week kicks off Hurricane Preparedness Week (May 25-31st). Do you know if your home or business is located in one of NYC’s six hurricane evacuation zones? Check out www.nyc.gov/knowyourzone to find out! These zones are ranked by their danger of flooding from storm surge (with zone 1 being the most likely to flood). In the event of a hurricane or coastal storm, residents in these zones may be ordered to evacuate. I was thrilled to find out we weren’t located in an evacuation zone but surprised I didn’t know this until now. This free resources has information about the six hurricane evacuation zones, the hazards you may face from a hurricane and what to do to prepare.
Ever since 911 and the slew of power outages and hurricane like storms we’ve had, having some sort of emergency kit has been our top priority. Especially with my Marcus and his life-threatening medical conditions, we know never to not be prepared.
- Sign up for Notify NYC (https://a858-nycnotify.nyc.gov/notifynyc/). Get the latest emergency information via text, phone, email, fax, Twitter (@NotifyNYC), BlackBerry Messenger, and instant messenger.
- During the storm you may not have access to your phone (if cell towers are down), or computer (if power is cut off). I love my Eton Emergency Radio which can be hand-cranked or powered by battery. Many of them even can be mini power suppliers to charge your cellphone.
- Prepare a Go Bag and an emergency supply kit. Don’t forget emergency supplies include both OTC and prescription medications.
- Use NYC’s Hurricane Evacuation Zone Finder or call 311 to find out whether your home or business is located in a hurricane evacuation zone.
- Understand hurricane hazards and the steps you can take to prepare.
- Check out the Ready New York Hurricane Guide: The guide contains instructions on how to develop a hurricane disaster plan and secure your home before a storm as well as a map of New York City hurricane evacuation zones. http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/ready/hurricane_guide.shtml
Now that you are in the know, spread the word with the Know Your Zone Thunderclap Challenge https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/11972-nyc-do-you-know-your-zone?locale=en