Camp is expensive. I don’t have thousands of dollars to spend on camp every year and its tough. 3 kids while working full time is a hard struggle. Every summer we just wing it and before you know it summer is already over. One of the perks about living in NYC is full of fun, enriching and FREE events to keep you and your kids busy. In between visits to the zoo and the aquarium with our WCS Family Premium Membership (best value and amazing deal!), trips to the beach with friends we are taking the city up on their offers of FREE camp and activities. Here are our TOP 5 Choices:
- Smart Game Coding with Microsoft Code. Create. Play. Websites and applications come from code, but where does code come from? In this camp for “Junior Designers”, you’ll use the kid-friendly visual programming language Kodu to learn about how creativity, problem solving, storytelling, and programming come together to make something all your own. We’ll then introduce you to TouchDevelop, a mobile app creation platform with a touch-based editor that makes coding from your phone or tablet lots of fun. Junior Designers Summer Camp: Recommended for 8-10 years of age Registering for this event will register you for the entire series. [Camps are 2 hours a day, Monday-Thursday, 10AM-12PM]
- My kids are crafters. Geez, I wonder where they got that from? This deal/activity is ridiculous! All Michaels stores have the perfect solution – they are hosting Passport to Imagination, a seven-week program that invites kids to explore culture through crafting. Each two-hour session is just $2 per child (Yes that is $1 + $1!)at all U.S. Michaels locations. This year the retailer has teamed with seven of North America’s top museums to create projects inspired by the museums and its exhibits. NYC’s inspiration is none other than the iconic Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology! [The in-store adventures take place June 16 through Aug. 2 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon.]
- Okay so this isn’t quite FREE, but… on June 16th, Legoland Discovery Center Westchester is having a steal of a deal, admission is only $10. Not only is admission discounted but there is a free outdoor showing of The LEGO Movie at 8:30pm. Not to worry, there is tons to do there. Make a day of it. Ridge Hill Shopping Center is one of my favorite places to hang out. Not only do they have great shops, they have great restaurants too like Brio Tuscan Grille and our favorite Texas De Brazil. At 7pm in the Town Square, located between Cheesecake Factory and Brio Tuscan Grille, there will be more fun and activities!
- I can’t rave enough about a WCS Family Premium membership! It’s really the best deal in town and practically pays for itself in 1-2 visits with your clan. Not only does it include admission but perks like FREE parking at the Bronx Zoo (VIP) and the New York Aquarium. I love to do an entire day at the NY Aquarium at our leisure with a mix of beach fun and time on the boardwalk. A day at the Bronx Zoo is always fun. The kids could go endless rounds on the Monorail and I’m perfectly okay with that thanks to our WCS Family Premium Membership! They also run an awesome Summer Camp ($400/members and $425/non-members) which my daughter can’t wait to go to. This year they are changing things up a bit and really breaking the groups into smaller age groups, perfect for making sure your child is getting the maximum and appropriate zoo experience for them. The Bronx Zoo Summer Camp still has available spots in the Kinderzoo and Week of Wildlife Camps. Participants will receive $50 off the regular registration price by using promo code CampDiscount14. Register today by clicking here!
- I love the chance to explore NYC and beautiful Governors Island is a checklist must-do! Figment 2014 Mini Golf Course is FREE, open daily June 7-September 21 10am-7pm, and is different each year. I love seeing what new designs have been inspired by recycled materials. This year’s theme is New York City NOW, check out images here: http://newyork.figmentproject.org/2014_nyc_minigolf_course
- Gone are the days of a homework free summer. My daughter came home with an enveloped filled with preparation work for 2nd grade. We’re taking this summer as an opportunity to learn to LOVE reading. I love programs like Barnes & Noble’s Summer Reading Program which earns you a prize (read 8 books and get a free book!) or the Public Library’s Summer Reading program.
- Part of what I love about NYC, is City Parks Sports. Every summer they offer free Golf lessons, Tennis and Track & Field. Only golf requires advanced registration, but all others have sign up on Day 1! For more information check out: http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/sports/tennis/