Remedies for the Winter Blues
Welcome to cold and flu season…it’s time to get educated! In addition to offering medicine that is easy to understand (including their latest launches: help, I have chest congestion and help, I have a stuffy nose), Help Remedies’ Medical Director David Pompei (Pharm.D) provides the below tips on navigating through the drugstore clutter and other useful information for surviving cold/flu season:
- PREVENT yourself from needing to visit the drug aisle – wash your hands regularly, exercise, consider getting a flu shot; these basic public health measures do reduce the chance of getting sick.
- IDENTIFY YOUR SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS. If you do get sick, avoid characterizing your condition using ambiguous terms such as ‘cold’ or ‘flu’. Instead, identify your specific symptoms; do you have a headache, does your body ache, do you have a fever, are you congested, do you have a runny nose, etc. and select product/s with active ingredients that focus on your specific symptoms rather than catchalls that may have medications that you don’t need.
- TAKE LESS. Take just the amount of medicine you need. If a small dose relieves your symptom, there is no additional benefit in taking more. Start with a moderate dose – if you need more you can take more, up to the recommended dosage per day.
- ASK QUESTIONS. The drug aisle can be confusing at times, and the pharmacist is there to help you get the right medication for your needs.
- DON’T OVERDO IT. While you’re sick, take care of yourself. Rest, use a sick day, drink lots of fluids (including that old remedy, soup).
Whatever (or whoever) ails you this season, Help Remedies has your gifting needs covered with a variety of stocking stuffers:
PROBLEM: You battled a gang of coupon-clutching seniors while negotiating a cart full of gifts through the line at Target’s.
SOLUTION: help, I have an aching body
PROBLEM: Your coworker’s feet are in bad shape after she insisted on wearing “festive” 5-inch stilettos to the office holiday party.
SOLUTION: help, I have a blister
PROBLEM: In an obvious attempt at payback for your misspent youth, the grandparents gave the twins matching drum sets.
SOLUTION: help, I have a headache
PROBLEM: Your brother-in-law’s bear-like snores are rattling the windows. And the family is in town for a week.
SOLUTION: help, I can’t sleep
PROBLEM: Your teenager is far too cool to wear a proper coat. Or hat. Or scarf.
SOLUTION: help, I have a stuffy nose
PROBLEM: Your sister-in-law’s five cats won’t leave you compulsively sneezing self alone.
SOLUTION: help, I have allergies
PROBLEM: Your husband lost the annual family football bowl and pouted for an hour in the backyard.
SOLUTION: help, I have chest congestion
Yes they are niftily designed, and come in cute little pods that I can’t resist but they are just as practical as they are smartly designed. Personally I hope someone leaves me some help, I can’t sleep in my stocking so I can sooner acclimate to working the night shift. For additional information on Help Remedies, visit www.helpineedhelp.com. Each Help product is $3.99 MSRP, available at Walgreens, Duane Reade, select Target stores, Soap.com, Pharmaca.com, and other retailers nationwide.
GIVEAWAY: It’s getting nippy out there! Just in time for switching into snow boots and helping your feet “weather the storm” or after you’ve insisted on wearing “festive” 5-inch stilettos to the office holiday party, we’re giving away FIVE (5) help, I have a blister kits! To ENTER, from now until December 31st 2011 you MUST visit this FORM and enter (1) one of (3) ways – 1st Option – If you follow me on twitter @momconfessional and re-tweet this giveaway (I just entered @momconfessional’s HELP remedies #giveaway and you should too! http://wp.me/pLvfH-1a8) – 2nd Option – If you “like” us on Facebook and share the giveaway with your friends. – 3rd option – subscribe to Mom Confessionals. DON’T FORGET to visit this FORM and leave a separate entry for each action. Giveaway only open to those with U.S. addresses and must be 18 years or older. Giveaway ends on December 31st 2011 at 11:59 EST. A winner will be selected randomly by Random.org and notified by e-mail.