A Toddler Debutante’s Reading List
The other day as the baby napped, I left him with his grandmother and darling daughter and I headed off the library. Going to the library had always been so much fun for the toddler and I before I got knee-deep — sigh! — into school and trips to the library were no longer. It was a real treat this sunny afternoon.
Upon arrival I felt almost immediately disconnected from this library. It was no longer our familiar place and while books were abundant, knowing what to choose and where to choose it from was overwhelming! The librarian was new too! The toddler and I tried our best to navigate the maze of books and while we left with some really great books, two of which in honor of the recently celebrated Dr. Suess’ birthday, we felt like we missed some really good reads. As we left I could sense the toddler wasn’t completely too happy with the book choices and I decided to make a detour to the neighborhood Barnes & Noble which was my childhood “library” when it first opened… eons ago… okay it wasn’t really a detour as I secretly wanted to check out the Nook Color… which I am coveting!
There is something glorious about new books! The smell, the crackle, the shiny new cover! There were books on display everywhere… featured reads for every type of child. The toddler and I ran around snapping pictures of books we wanted to add to the library list as well as some…ahem… accessories.
- Tallulah’s Tutu– for my little ballerina
- Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Blossom Bright Tote Set – for her gardening of course!
- Not Me!– which seemed perfect for mommy’s agenda and darling daughter’s recent penchance for fibbing
- Disney Princess: Stories of Kindness (Book and CD)– because all toddlers should know of such stories to tell
- Silverlicious (Pinkalicious)– hot off the press and one of the toddler’s favorite character
- Shoe-La-La!– with me as her mother, it’s no wonder this girl loves her shoes!
- The Best Birthday Party Ever – this was a toddler direct pick as she loves a good birthday party
- My Name Is Not Isabella: Just How Big Can a Little Girl Dream?– I want to know!
- Ballet Kitty: Ballet Class
- Llama Llama Red Pajama– a classic she’s always loved
- Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type – The toddler wanted to know what that thing was on the book cover…ahem… a typewriter my dear!
- Ladybug Girl– another toddler pick as she fondly remembers her ladybug halloween costume of past
- Doodle Dolls: Over 300 Outfits to Design and Decorate– a rainy day purchase I promised someday
The toddler and I left with a fabulous list of must reads for her next library visit which I hope to make sooner, rather than later! So if ever at a loss for what to read, I suggest hitting up your neighborhood bookstore and check out what’s new! You’re sure to find something ooooh-la-la!
Oh and if you haven’t discovered it yet, the Queens Library lets you reserve books online with your library card!
Au revoir! Until next time!